Tuesday, December 12, 2006

I love John Barrowman

And I am not ashamed to say it! Not only is he super hot -




- see?, but he's also an out and proud proper gay homosexualist and has plenty to say on the matter. He's also very funny. Recently he took part in Attitude magazine's regular feature, "Any Queries?" where readers send in questions and the best ones are answered. Here are some choice samples from the interview:

When asked about the nude scene he shot for Doctor Who, he had this to say: "There is footage out there in the ether of me with naked with my pert bottom and my HUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGEEEEE cock hanging out. What, you think I'm gonna say average?"

When asked about if watching Doctor Who as a child made him hide behind the sofa, his response was "I didn't hide behind the sofa, I sat on the sofa with a pillow in front of my face. Or my face in a pillow....which sometimes happens these days."

But when asked if he would seriously consider pursuing a career in Hollywood, he gets much more serious: "If Hollywood ever said we want you, I would go, but I am not going to pursue it. To be honest with you, it's gay men and women in America, in Hollywood, who are the worst and the most homophobic and it frightens me. There are casting people, industry people, they find out you're gay and they don't want to touch you, you're a hurdle to be overcome, you're not marketable. Well fuck you. We are marketable. Take a risk. You would change the industry and be a mover and shaker if you did something like that. I'm not an advocate of outing people at all. It's no-one's place to do that because people have emotional issues to deal with. But if you're creating a lie for Christ sake, that is not good. We need some huge Hollywood name to come out. I know a lot of people in this country who are in the closet and married. It's absolutely horrible. I find it difficult. I understand it but I want to say "why?". It's a slap in the face to the rest of us."

So there you are. John Barrowman, you are officially fabulous.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow. That iss a respectable attitude to have. I wish he were a better actor...but hey, he is raht purty! :-) Kudos to him!

Anonymous said...

To be honest with you, it's gay men and women in America, in Hollywood, who are the worst and the most homophobic and it frightens me.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this sentence. Is it hyperbole? Am I missing something? Am I reading it wrong?

Popcultureboy said...

Well, yes it's hyperbole but when it comes to Hollywood, he does have a point. He's not the only out gay actor to say that the closeted gay Hollywood contingent are the worst offenders when it comes to homophobia.

Hephaestion said...

John is 100% right about Holywood. It is the gay people in the entertainment industry who force gay performers to stay in the closet. This is common knowledge.