Monday, August 21, 2006

TV owns my soul

It's true. Those of you keeping up with current events will know I'm now stuck in the UK far longer than I ever wanted to be and I am very much strapped for cash. I have a mahoosive debt and I am hoping to scrimp and save enough to get said debt paid off before my US return next year. Which means a whole lot of doing nothing for me. Even cinema trips will become a luxury and unless I absolutely have to have to must see something, it can wait until it's on DVD. In order to make sure I always have something to watch though, I have also added to my rental list on the UK version of Netflix, all the tv shows I meant to watch but never did or started watching and never finished. I just got through watching Rome, which has provided me with my favorite line of tv dialogue EVER ("Father, that dwarf is asking for you"). Still on my list I have the first seasons of:

Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, Medium, Prison Break, Supernatural, Rescue Me, Alias, Arrested Development, Dead Like Me, Deadwood, Fat Actress, Huff, Monk, NYPD Blue, Roswell, The Shield, The Sopranos. Third Watchand The West Wing.

Should I love any of those shows like the child I will never have, of course I'll rent the additional seasons. I also have the final seasons of Angel because I missed half of it and Carnivale because I missed all of it, on the list. Should keep me going for a while, don't you think?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget the Comeback if it's released there. Lisa Kudrow was BRILL!

NATHANIEL R said...

you really must add Battlestar Galactica to your list. Best show since Buffy.

Popcultureboy said...

The Comeback is on my "coming soon" list as it's not out here for a few more weeks yet. I watched the whole season in NY last summer and just adored it. I am particularly looking forward to the episode with commentary from Valerie Cherish herself.

And I hear nothing but good stuff about Battlestar Galactica. We have the first season actually in the house so I have no excuse now do I?

Anonymous said...

I need to get Battlestar as well...perhaps on that fateful day I FINALLY re-up my Netflix subscription.

Anonymous said...

Poppy - hope you're loving Rome. Atia's lines are heaven. 'I'll use the eyes of your children for beads.'

dirk.mancuso said...

THE COMEBACK was wonderful...I can't believe they didn't renew that.

PRISON BREAK is pretty good if you can get past the initial contrivances to set things up. ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT...not a bad episode in the bunch. NYPD BLUE -- I can watch that anytime, anywhere. If WEEDS is available, I strongly recommend that one as well. BATTLESTAR GALACTICA...I wanted to hate this, but I'll be damned if it isn't one of the best shows on right now.

And of course my guilty pleasure, NIP/TUCK. Ryan Murphy is a genius and I cannot wait for his RUNNING WIWTH SCISSORS adaptation.

Popcultureboy said...

I saw a few episodes of Weeds when I was in the US last summer too, but living in an apartment without Showtime made watching the whole thing rather difficult. I have it on my "coming soon" list, even though there's no official UK release date yet.

Ah, Nip/Tuck. The second season was absolute stonking genius and watching the last 4 episodes back to back was actually somewhat nerve shredding. The third season buggered that up slightly by completely fumbling the whole Carver thing. The last episode was so bad I wanted to throw things. I hope season 4 redeems itself.

Anonymous said...

how do you spell redemption? mario lopez nude.