Thursday, July 06, 2006

Random shit

I haven't blogged that much lately, I guess I haven't had a huge amount to say. I also don't really have the energy to write a coherent entry that's actually, you know, ABOUT something.


I am steadily losing weight. I have dropped 14lbs so far, weigh day is tomorrow but I haven't been overly strict this week so I don't expect to have lost much, if any. But I am still pleased that the weight is coming off, slowly but surely.

Superman Returns got the best reviews of the summer flicks so far (it's tracking 72 on metacritic) yet its box office has not lived up to expectations. Which makes me sad, especially as the negative buzz regarding Bryan Singer making the movie "too gay" was put forward as a possible reason. It's expected to sink in the face of Dead Man's Chest tomorrow too, but I'm hoping it doesn't. I feel I may hope in vain. It's annoying because I hate I hate I hate Curse Of The Black Pearl. Sigh.

5 comments:

Limecrete said...

I don't know why everyone's going on and on about the Superman=gay thing. Unlike X-Men, I really didn't see any gay overtones at all.

But I guess a gay director couldn't possibly direct a movie without including his sexuality in the movie's themes.

dirk.mancuso said...

I didn't think it was a gay movie, just lacking any sort of plot (Lex's scheme made no sense whatsoever) and drug down by Kate Bosworth as a very stupidly written Lois.

Myself, I didn't think the X-Men movies were all that great, so I have a hard time with the whole "Bryan Singer is a genius director" thing. His movies just seem to drift along with no coherent through line. Maybe it's just me. Maybe he just needs to find better screenplays. I don't know.

Parts of that movie were incredible but overall I felt a 2hour 39 minute movie could not be sustained by a few brilliant set pieces and character bits. Again, maybe just me.

Moving on...

Congrats on the weight loss! Keep up the good work. I know firsthand how hard that can be so I'm proud of you.

The work schedule, though? Ugh. That is a killer schedule man. But on the upside you'll be a bazillionaire by fall, eh?

Take care and glad to see you posting when you can. Have missed you.

Big hug,

Dirk

Anonymous said...

talk about your disappointments! each day i hope to find a certain colin farrell movie in my mailbox to no avail...

congrats on the weight loss, matt_g, i mean poppy.

dirk.mancuso said...

Just saw PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN 2 and it has the same problems as SUPERMAN: lots of set pieces, no real plot, and apparently no film editor.

I am holding out that SNAKES ON A PLANE will have the good sense to pack its story into 90 minutes and not bore me.

Anonymous said...

Slow and steady wins the race with the weight loss, poppy!